Google

About Me

Denver, CO, United States
I am a licensed massage therapist in Denver Colorado. I specialize in Sports, Shiatsu, Swedish, Acupressure, Structural, Cranial Sacrial Therapy and Reflexology. I also offer support to prol-therapy patients. (read my blogs about prolotherapy) I am married and have 2 dogs and my wife and volunteer with a dog rescue organization in our spare time.

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

What the heck is Prolotherapy?

What is Regenerative Injection Therapy (also known as Prolotherapy)?

Prolotherapy is a regenerative injection therapy that treats the cause of the pain - not just the symptom. Contrary to popular belief, most joint pain is not caused by damaged muscles. Muscles simply move joints, whereas ligaments and tendons serve to stabilize the joints. When these stabilizers are damaged, they can become loose and weak causing muscle spasms, tightness, popping or clicking, soreness or general pain. Prolotherapy strengthens and tightens weakend ligaments or tendons, thereby treating the CAUSE of the pain. No surgery, treatment or medicine can do what prolotherapy does.

How Does Regenerative Injection Therapy Work?

R.I.T works by injecting a small amount of solution at the spot where the ligament or tendon attaches to the bone. Many different proliferant solutions can be used depending on the area being treated. These solutions promote acute inflammation at the injured area to start the natural healing process. Within minutes, there is an increase in blood flow to the area. Within hours, the white blood cells arrive to the area to "clean up debris." After several days, construction cells known as fibroblasts build new ligament and tendon tissue, making the joint more stable. The fibroblasts continue to make new tissue for several weeks. Typically, depending on the severity and location of the injury, a series of 3-6 treatments (usually given 3-6 weeks apart) are needed to complete the healing process and cure the pain.
History of Prolotherapy

Prolotherapy has undergone many changes over the centuries. Hippocrates, the father of modern medicine, used this technique in 500 BC to treat shoulder dislocations of Olympic javelin throwers and patients who had back pain. Prolotherapy made its return in 1937 with a paper written by Dr. Louis Schultz, who was both a dentist and a medical doctor. In his publicatoin, Schultz researched temporomandibular joint (TMJ) syndrome and concluded that traditional treatments of rest, splints, physical therapy and surgery had only limited success. He pioneered the first modern day prolotherapy treatment.

In the 1940s, Dr. George Hackett conducted multiple studies and became a leading proponet for prolotherapy. Many of his studies were publised in prestigious medical journals, bringing the benefits of prolotherapy into the mainstream. In a meeting of the American Medical Assocition in 1955, Dr. Hackett met the man who would become his apprentice and the leading practitioner of modern-day prolotherapy. This man, Dr. Gustav Hemwall, treated more than 10,000 patients worldwide. Through his years of research, Dr. Hemwall would refine the technique of prolotherapy with amazing results. "More than 99% of his patients who completed treatment found long-term relief of their chronic pain."

This technique has been scrutinized by professionals in the medical field despite the numerous studies available demonstrating its restorative powers. Former Surgeon General, C. Everett Koop, has been an advocate of prolotherapy since successfully undergoing treatment for his back and leg pain. Click Here to Read Former Surgeon's General, C. Everett Koop's Story!


Who can benefit from Prolotherapy?

If you have back, neck, or knee pain; osteoarthritis; degenerative disc disease; tendonitis; ligament tears; or want to avoid total joint replacement, prolotherapy can help. Most chronic pain can be tracked back to ligament laxity in the body and only a well trained physician using his/her hands during an physical exam can diagose ligament laxity and the CAUSE of the pain. If you currently suffer from chronic inflammation, prolotherapy can rid your pain and heal the damaged area so your pain does not return. Chronic inflammation is harmful and is different than acute inflammation. We use the regenerative effects of acute inflammation to heal your chronic pain.

Where can I get Prolotherapy?

Dr. Jo Douglas is one of the leading prolotherapists in the coutnry. She is located in Colorado. People travel from all over to see her. I received prolo from her and my back no longer hurts after only 3 treatments. It does work. To schedule an appt. go to : http://www.mycodo.com/ or call 303-988-1825 and talk to Scott.

(the information provided here comes from the website of Colorado Osteopathic & Sports Medicine, Dr. Douglas)

17 comments:

Unknown said...

Can they do prolotherapy on the knee? Is there a form of massage therapy I can try first before doing an invasive procedure. I have already had 2 lateral releases.

Unknown said...

Hi Barry, yes prolotherapy can be done for someone who has had a lateral release. Tightening the patella tendon can help with patella tracking and cartiliage degeneration

Anonymous said...

csHI
I am an amputee, below the knee and I have nerve pain in my short leg. sometimes called (phantom) but they are very real. Can you help me? I have been told I have to live with it, and that drugs do not work well on nerve pain

Anonymous said...

My husband has a bulging disc that they said is only partially herniated. They said the fluid leaks out a little and reabsorbes into the body meanwhile aggravating the area. He is on pain meds and they have suggested surgery. I would like to look into alterntatives first. Can this prolo treatment help stop the herniation from getting worse and can it help stop the cycle. We live in Wyoming and would be willing to come there.

Anonymous said...

Can you get prolotherapy while you are pregnant?

Anonymous said...

My shoulder has been dislocated 6 times (I play basketball) and it seems to pop out easier each time. It also aches at night. Can prolotherapy help tighten up whatever needs to be tightened to stop it from dislocating and will it stop the pain? The doc said that surgery can fix the problem of course but I would rather not get cut if I don't have to.

Anonymous said...

Jay jay, prolotherapy may help if the nerve pain is coming from the low back. However, we do not treat phantom nerve pain.

Jennifer, prolotherapy can help with herniated discs if there is instability in the spine. Stabilizing the spine with prolotherapy will allow the fluids to go back into the disc. Surgery should always be the last option.

Theresa, yes prolotherapy can be done while pregnant,. However, there is a hormone called relaxin that is released when you are pregnant. It actually loosens ligaments. If the pain is very severe and it is effecting your life, you may want to do prolotherapy now. If not, you may want to wait.

Mike, there is no better treatment for your shoulder than prolotherapy. The reason the shoulder could be popping out is the ligaments are not tight enough to hold it in place. Prolotherapy can tighten all the ligaments and tendons in your shoulder.

Anonymous said...

I am afraid of needles. Does he offer sedation when doing the injections? What about afterwards, is there a lot of pain? How long will it take to go away?

Brian S. Tow, LMT said...

If I haven't mentioned before, I received Prolo from Dr. Douglas last year. I had only 2 treatments and I have no more back pain. I am not kidding. It really worked.

Anonymous said...

Shannon, no one likes needles, but not many people avoid prolotherapy because of it. Living in pain everyday or having a surgery that makes you worse is not a good option. Valium is sometimes used for people who are nervous about the needle.

Unknown said...

Dr. Douglas is the best doctor I have had.

Unknown said...

My name is Lindsay and I have been researching prolotherapy for my dog who tore a cruciate a few months ago. Can anyone help me with finding someone to do the procedure on my dog, I live in the philadelphia area but am willing to drive as long as I have to for her, she is my baby!?! I can't seem to find any vets who know what it is let alone can perform it.

Janella said...

I am wondering where I can find a doctor who does this. Is Dr. Douglas still around? I clicked on the website for her, and it is not valid.

Jo Douglas, DO said...

Janella,

You can find us on the web at YouHaveTheSoution.com

Regenerative Solution

Emily said...

Hi, I saw your answer to Theresa. My question is a bit different. I have chronic SI pain and am planning to do prolotherapy this month. I am also wanting to get pregnant. Do you recommend waiting until after a round or two of prolotherapy to try. Will relaxin interfere with the inflammatory response? Or should I try to get pregnant and deal try prolotherapy after going through pregnancy? Thanks.

P. Briones said...

Does Dr. Douglas accept Aetna Insurance or Medicare and, conversely, do insurance companies cover prolotherapy? How much does it cost? Thank you!

Dr. Douglas' office said...

Emily,

Please see our website: YouHaveTheSolution.com

Also call our office for information: 303 988-1825